Education Secretary Gillian Keegan today blamed 'inverted snobbery' as she hit back at the focus on her £10,000 Rolex watch.

The Cabinet minister defended her pricey wristwear as she attacked those who might believe she should 'never have made any money' and remained 'working class'.

But Ms Keegan saw herself dragged into a fresh row with unions after she claimed teachers were 'probably within the top 10 per cent of earners in some parts of the country'.

She was immediately challenged over her comments and told that some teachers were having to take on second or third jobs because they 'cannot make ends meet' amid the cost-of-living crisis.

Ms Keegan, who owns properties in London, France and Spain, previously came under fire last month when she suggested nurses 'usually' only use foodbanks if they have been dumped or their boiler has broken.

She was accused of a 'staggering lack of empathy' for those remarks, which she made while wearing a Rolex watch estimated to be worth £10,000.

Appearing on LBC radio this morning, the Education Secretary revealed she was 'quite surprised' at the attention given to her choice of wristwear when she made the comments.

'I was quite surprised really,' she said.

'It's almost like assuming you're working class, you start working class and you can't become anything else.

'I've worked for 38 years, I haven't stopped working.'